To accompany our updated 2017 Primary Computing scheme of work, we have developed a progression framework for teachers to use to assess computing at key stage 1 and 2. It also contains progression statements for pupils working at Foundation Stage 2 level, and thus can be used for pupils in KS1 who are working below age-expectations.
The framework contains statements that reflect the progression of skills and understanding in the 6 strands of the scheme of work, plus the elements of Online Safety that are embedded across the scheme:
- Strand 0: WHAT IS A COMPUTER?
- Strands 1 & 2: COMMUNICATION: TEXT & IMAGES / MULTIMEDIA
- Strand 3: COMMUNICATION: DATA
- Strands 4 & 5: PROGRAMMING & COMPUTATIONAL THINKING
- ONLINE SAFETY & DIGITAL LITERACY (these are only the elements of Online Safety that relate to the Computing curriculum)
The document is Creative Commons licensed, and as such is free for teachers to use, with credit to the Sheffield eLearning Service. To download a copy click here: Sheffield Primary Computing Progression Framework.
For more information on our scheme of work, please visit the Primary Computing Scheme of Work page. If you have any question about the progression framework and how to implement in your school, please contact Catherine.Elliott@sheffield.gov.uk.